Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Graduation Quilt for a Baseball Playing Chef


Here is another graduation quilt - this one delivered VERY late! As with the Sunset Quilt made for my sister Nicki, I was given a set of colors to work with prior to beginning this quilt. My nephew Ian requested only bright colors. I asked if it would be okay to use fabrics in which the main colors were the reds, yellows and oranges and he said, "No, I only like the bright colors. I loved the border fabric I used on this one, wild mustangs on a black background.

Personally, I lean towards the cool colors; so this was quite a challenge for me. As you can see, it turned out quite nicely. In addition to using the warm colors that Ian loves, I looked for fabrics that reflected his interests. He used to be very involved in baseball. Prior to a bad accident that nearly blinded him in one eye, he had plans to play professional ball. He is quite the musician, specializing in drums. And - as I was finishing up the quilt, he had gone to chef school. I also included some nature fabrics, to reflect the sensitivity to beauty that I see in him.


Once again, I had fun with the back side of the quilt. You can also see, in this photo, the construction method I use for my projects. I never quilt the whole thing at once, as I find this very uncomfortable. I quilt sections, and then use binding strips to put them together, folding over the binding on the back side of the quilt and tacking it down. I use this same method to attach my borders.

In this closeup of the backside of the quilt you can see two of the great baseball fabrics I found and the stippling I used to do the quilting. Also apparent is the binding strip between the border and the body of the quilt.

No comments: