Thursday, May 29, 2008

Baby Quilt with a Gathered Border

When there is a new baby in the house, or on the way, we crafters get so inspired. This photo is of my first granddaughter, Alyssa, when she was just a few weeks old. One of my projects was to crochet this little blue dress for her. Yes, I understand that traditionally blue is for the little boys - but her father thought she would look pretty in blue. And of course she does.


The body of her baby quilt was made simply. I cut 8 inch squares of two fabrics. One was a mottle blue and one was a cherub fabric. Then I put it together with sashing strips.

What made this little quilt really special was the gathered border, made from another cherub fabric. To simplify the process of adding the border, I first rounded the corners of the quilt top. I did this by laying a plate face down on the top. I lined it up with the sides of the quilt, and then traced the curve of the plate at each corner.


In order to add this gathered border, I cut a 4 1/2" strip that was twice the measurement of the quilt edge. I then put a basting thread 1/4" in from each edge of the strip. I gathered one edge, pinning it (right side to right side) to the quilt edge in a 2:1 ratio. I then gathered the outside edge, being careful that the gathers would correspond to the first set of gathers. That was the trickiest part of the whole process.

No comments: