Tuesday, May 13, 2008

An Unusual Wedding Quilt


This is definitely THE largest quilt I have ever made! It was a gift to my daughter when she married her first husband. They are standing in a pickup to get up high enough to show the whole quilt! This baby measures 3 yards by 3 yards, which was the perfect size for their California King bed which was on a massive frame.

The placement of squares in this creation was strongly influenced by my interest in watercolor quilting. I wanted the color to flow from one square to another as much as possible.


Her husband was a biologist, an ornithologist (bird biologist), to be exact. I let them pick out fabrics they liked online, and then it was my task to figure out how to fit them together.


In the quilt there is a combo of insects, birds and celestial prints. They had also fallen in love with some painted batik panels and chose six to be incorporated into this quilt. I used two on the front of the quilt and then worked four into the back side.


A variety of celestial and zodiac prints chosen by Jen and her ex surround the four panels. In addition to being huge, this quilt is thick! The batting is 1 inch, so needless to say I used machine quilting. I told my daughter there was no way she would be able to wash this baby in her washing machine at home!


Another interesting note on this quilt involves my husband Tom. Every time I think about it's construction, I remember how helpful he was one day when I realized I had made a big error. I quilted this baby in sections, and realized in horror that I had quilted one of them with the back piece upside down. I absolutely did not have the emotional whatever to rip out that quilting! I didn't know what I was going to do.


My sweet hubby sat down that afternoon with a seam ripper and did it for me. The cool part was that when we gave this wedding quilt to our daughter, I could then say that it was in truth from both her father and me.



No comments: