Sunday, May 11, 2008

Star/Cross Wall Hanging


Of all of the quilts I have made, this is one of my personal favorites. It was made for a minister friend who helped me through some really difficult times, and is displayed on the wall of his study.

It took me over a year to collect all of the fabrics for this wall hanging, and each one holds a special symbolism. I found this quilt very difficult to construct, for I had never pieced diamonds before.


I did use a strip piecing technique, but on close inspection one can see that all of my points do not meet exactly. As I worked on this quilt, and its beauty became evident in spite of my errors, one of the guiding principles behind quilting became especially meaningful. The principle is this: every quilt should have at least one error, for only God is perfect.


My mother liked this wall hanging so much that she commissioned me to do two more for minister friends of hers. If I can locate the pictures, I will post them at a later date.

No comments: