Friday, May 2, 2008

Quilting a Song


Quilting a Song

Quilting a song - now that is a concept that may seem strange to you; yet when I began to quilt, I sensed a real similarity to the way I write my songs.

Just as I would search for just the right fabric for a quilt, or a quilt block - I would search for just the right word, just the right turn of phrase for my song lyrics.

Just as I would rummage through my mind, I would rummage through my fabric stash.

As I walked through a fabric store, I would look for fabrics that called to each other.

In other words, in my mind my two crafts became very intertwined.

My Goal for this Blog

As I develop this blog, it is my plan to incorporate photos of many of my quilting projects as well as lyrics from some of my songs. I intend to find a way to link to the songs and/or find a way for you to download them.

I am in no way well known, yet there's a group of people who really seem to love my music. Perhaps you will be one of them.

I imagine that some of my other projects will find their way into this blog as well - perhaps some of my lace or Fair Isle knitting - some of my watercolor paintings.

I just like to share. When I complete a project, I'm like a little kid that wants to show it to someone. Perhaps no one will be interested. But - it can't hurt to reach out.

Drunkard's Path

The picture above is of a quilt medallion, i.e. the center piece for a larger quilt. It was pieced using a pattern called Drunkard's Path, or Pumpkin Vine. It contains over 400 pieces.

Each square is composed of two pieces with opposite curves. Though traditionally pieced by hand, I did this work on the sewing machine. It became the center medallion in a queen size bed quilt made for my sister Peg.


Here you see the medallion in the finished project. The rest of the quilt was pieced using a 4-patch construction.

When Peg first had this quilt she used to say, "No one leaves my house without first having to admire my quilt!"

Peg is also my biggest fan for my music. She is a nurse, and prior to being disabled by chemo and radiation for cancer she used to work on a floor in the hospital where many people didn't survive. She used to give copies of my cassettes to her patients.

I felt like we were partners in ministry, as many of her patients told her that my music helped them cope with illness and death. What better compliment could I possibly receive.

1 comment:

Wavecritter said...

Holy Cow! These are rocking! You Rock Mary! These quilts are awesome, your blogs are awesome, and YOU R Awesome! Sweet, talk soon, Steff