Monday, May 5, 2008

More Log Cabin Designs



This is another log cabin quilt, pieced for my youngest sister Nicki. Are you beginning to see how versatile this pattern is?

Log cabin squares are very easy to construct, but there are an endless number of ways in which you can put the squares together to form interesting patterns.


In this zigzag quilt, the log cabin square has been created in the traditional fashion. The little red squares at the center of each block symbolize the hearth of the home, and the fabric "logs" the way in which the homes on the frontier were constructed.


Here is another quilt made with the same set of fabrics, and which is also a log cabin.


One of the fascinating aspects of log cabin quilts is the number of ways in which the squares can be arranged. Unfortunately, I am sitting on the only picture I have of this quilt. I am in the process of pin basting the completed top, a process which I no longer struggle with.


At this point in my quilting, I always quilt small sections of a quilt and then use binding strips to put them together, as opposed to giving myself a major backache by machine quilting the whole quilt at once. This quilt is currently in the home of my youngest brother, Bob Beglau.

No comments: